This meaty sauce cooks itself while you’re away at work! And gives you more than one option for an easy dinner (or two?!), with wide noodles, like pappardelle, on toasted crusty bread or over simple polenta.
2 tbsp olive oil
3 pounds boneless short ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 med/large yellow onion, diced small
2 carrots, peeled and diced small
1 jar Due Cellucci Traditional Sauce
1 cup of low sodium chicken stock
2-3 tbsp of tomato paste
2-3 sprigs oregano
Salt and pepper
Pappardelle pasta or polenta for serving
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In batches, brown the meat on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Does not have to be cooked through. Transfer ribs to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Pour off oil, leaving about 1 tbsp in the skillet, add onion and carrots. Season with a little more salt and pepper and sauté, stirring until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Add stock to pan, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, then pour all into slow cooker.
4. Pour jar of Due Cellucci Traditional Sauce into slow-cooker, add oregano sprigs, season with a little more salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high until meat is fork-tender, 6-8 hours.
3. With tongs, remove herb sprigs and let all settle. With a spoon or ladle, carefully skim fat from cooking liquid (you’ll remove about a cup or so depending on meat.)
5. With two forks, shred meat while still in slow cooker, working through all the pieces. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately, or let cool in liquid and reheat over medium before serving.