Crostini are the perfect vessel for many yummy toppings. This is one of our favorite quick nibbles. Serve them as hors d’oeuvres or eat them as an accompaniment to a light lunch like a soup or salad. The crostini bread base can be made ahead and then top them when you’re ready to serve.
1 baguette, sliced on the diagonal
Cherry tomatoes, sliced
Due Cellucci Basil Pesto Sauce
Fresh Bocconcini Mozzarella, sliced (or any fresh mozzarella sliced into small pieces
Fresh basil for garnish, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste (we like to use freshly ground sea salt and peppercorns)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Slice a baguette on a diagonal into about 1/2″ slices. Drizzle slices with a bit olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Toast until light golden brown 7-9 minutes.
4. Spread pesto on each crostini. Top with 1 or 2 pieces of mozzarella and 1 or 2 pieces of tomato. Garnish with fresh basil and season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tip: Here’s an easy way to slice basil in long uniform curls (if you want to be fancy it’s called chiffonade!)
– Stack 4 or 5 basil leaves on top of each other.
– Roll into a tight little tube.
– Grab your favorite sharp knife, and starting at one end of the basil roll, slice into very thin slices.
– Viola! Basil, confetti!
Tomato Option: You can also roast the tomatoes before assembling: Slice cherry tomatoes in half. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast 15 minutes or until shriveled and soft.