What kind of ingredients do you use in your sauces?
Due Cellucci sauces are all natural and made from only real whole foods, no junk. There is nothing artificial and no added sugars in any of our sauces, the sweetness is all natural!
Are your sauces Organic?
They are not certified organic. However, they are all natural and we use local, non-GMO and organic ingredients whenever available. Additionally, all our sauces are gluten-free, have no added sugar and contain no trans fats. Our Traditional, Tomato Basil and Arrabbiata sauces are vegan.
I see The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) mentioned a lot, what is the connection?
Due Cellucci was founded by Stefanie Sulpizi Bhalla in memory of her brother Enzo, who lost his battle with Leukemia in 2003. Stefanie and her brothers were raised on the homemade sauces from their family’s restaurants. Her brother Enzo had a plan to “spread the love” and jar their family sauces. Stefanie decided to make Enzo’s dream a reality.
Thanks in part to innovative research funded by The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS), survival rates for blood cancer patients have doubled, tripled and even quadrupled since 1949. A portion of proceeds from your purchase of Due Cellucci sauces directly supports LLS and helps fund vital research to assist blood cancer patients.
Our hope is that our sauces will fill your belly and warm your heart!
What is the significance of the birds on the label?
They represent our founder’s two sons – our “Due Cellucci”. Due means “two” in Italian. Cellucci means “little bird”. Stefanie’s two sons have affectionately been referred to as the family’s “Due Cellucci” since they were born. A “cellucci” is also a bird-shaped Italian cookie that Stefanie’s brother loved. Both her brand and family are made with lots of love so the name felt perfect
Can leftover sauce be frozen and saved for later use?
Yes, no need to waste sauce if you don’t use the whole jar. Boil the sauce for a few minutes and then fill into an airtight container and freeze. When you use the sauce from the freezer be sure to let it simmer for a few minutes to remove any excess water. If you’d rather not have leftover sauce, visit our website for ideas on how to use the sauce for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
I’m trying to cut back on pasta; can I still enjoy your sauces?
Yes! Tomato sauce is a wonderful base or flavor enhancer to many dishes that do not include pasta, including meats, fish, vegetables and other grains. Please visit the recipe section of our website for many delicious ways to use our sauces.
What’s the best way to prepare your sauces with pasta?
- Cook pasta in fully boiling, salted water. (water should taste salty).
- Simmer sauce separately over low heat. (sauce thickens as it simmers so keep an eye on it until it reaches your preferred thickness)
- Drain pasta well! (but don’t rinse it).
- Toss sauce and pasta in the pot over low heat until pasta is fully coated. This helps the pasta absorb the flavors of the sauce. (We like to reserve about ¼ of the sauce to top individual plates)
- Finish with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, if preferred.
How long do your sauces stay fresh?
Our handcrafted jarring process keeps our sauces tasting fresh!
Opened: It truly varies, generally, sauces can stay good from a few days up to 1 week in the refrigerator. However, if you open a jar and are unsure you are going to use it all quickly we recommend freezing any unused portions for maximum flavor.
Unopened: Check the best by date, as long as the quality seal (that’s the little “poppy” thing on top of the cover) is not popped open the product is good!
What is citric acid?
Citric acid is an organic acid found in citrus fruits. It is often used as a natural preservative in food products to stop the growth of bacteria. The very small amount of natural acid we add help our product be shelf stable without affecting the taste.
And a few more fun facts…
- There are more than 7 tomatoes packed in every jar of our tomato sauces
- Our founder Stefanie made her first batch of gnocchi when she was 3 years old, talk about a destiny fulfilled!
- Our greatest gift to you is time – each jar takes several hours to deliver a bright and layered flavor, we do the waiting so you don’t have to!
- For years, Stefanie and her Dad hand-cooked all the sauces together. Dad will tell you he’s retired but we know he loves being in that kitchen!