4-6 fresh Italian sausage links. Hot or sweet sausage, or a mix of both.
3-4 tbsp olive oil. (Some to grill sausages and the rest to sauté onions and peppers.)
1 large brown onion, chopped in half and sliced into 1/4″ half moons.
4-6 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
3 bell peppers: red, green and yellow or orange, sliced into 1/4″ long slices.
1 tsp oregano.
1 tsp cumin.
1 tsp smoked paprika.
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional heat).
3/4 cup of nice red wine.
1 jar Due Cellucci Traditional, Tomato Basil Sauce or Spicy Arrabbiata.
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Chopped fresh Basil for finishing dish and for garnish.
Some rustic bread of choice if you choose to make a hero sandwich. Can also be served on top of polenta.
1. Pan brown the sausages in a little olive oil over medium heat. Keep turning to brown all over. They do not have to be cooked through yet. By browning them first, they’re a lot easier to cut into slices to add back into the onions and peppers later. Remove browned sausages and set aside, you can cut them to bite-size pieces once cooled.
2. In same pan, add rest of olive oil, medium heat, and sauté onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes, add in the garlic and continue sautéing all.
3. Add in all dry spices and about 1/2 tsp. each of salt & pepper. Continue mixing throughout.
4. Add the cut sausages and any resting juice back to the skillet, mix well.
5. Lower heat a little and add red wine and stir well for a minute or two, then add Due Cellucci sauce of choice. Stir all.
6. Cover and simmer for about 8-10 minutes, then taste dish for flavors.
7. Feel free to add additional salt & pepper to taste, chopped basil, additional heat, or a little more wine.
8. Simmer covered to desired doneness of onions and peppers.
9. Toast bread and slice open on one side and fill with peppers and onions!